Home » What to do in the event

What to do in the event

What to do in the event of a fire

• Have a family escape plan and practice it with your family. Go over the following rules with your children. This will help everyone remember them in case of a real emergency.
• Don’t panic; stay calm. Your safe escape may depend on thinking clearly and remembering what you have practiced.
• Notify every member in the residence of the fire.
• Get out of the house as quickly as possible. Follow a planned escape route. Do not stop to collect anything or to get dressed.
• Feel the doors to see if they are hot. If they are hot, do not open them – use an alternative escape route.
• Stay close to the floor. Smoke and hot gases rise.
• Cover your nose and mouth with a cloth (wet if possible). Take short, shallow breaths.
• Keep doors and windows closed. Open them only if you have to in order to escape.
• Meet at your planned meeting place after leaving the house. Carry out a head count.
• Call the fire service on 999 as soon as possible from outside your house. If possible use a neighbour’s phone or call box rather than a mobile phone (as the location can be traced from the number if the line is lost).
• Give the address and your name.
• Never go back inside the building until a member of the fire service has told you it is safe to do so.
• Contact your local fire service. They will give you more ideas about how to make your home safer from fires and how to plan your family’s escape.

What to do in the event of a CO leak

If your CO alarm activates, always assume carbon monoxide has been detected in your home. A loud alarm is a warning that unusually high and potentially lethal levels of carbon monoxide are present. Never ignore this alarm; further exposure could be fatal. Immediately check residents for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, (see product manual) and contact the proper authorities to resolve all CO problems. NEVER IGNORE ANY ALARM.

What to do during a CO alarm:

• Keep calm and open the doors and windows to ventilate the property.
• Stop using all fuel-burning appliances and ensure, if possible, that they are turned off.
• Evacuate the property leaving the doors and windows open.
• Ring your gas or other fuel supplier on their emergency number; keep the number in a prominent place.
• Do not re-enter the property until the alarm has stopped. When exposed to fresh air it can take up to 10 minutes for the sensor to clear and the alarm to stop, depending on the level of carbon monoxide detected.
• Get medical help immediately for anyone suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, nausea, drowsiness), and advise that carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.
• Do not use the appliances again until they have been checked by an expert. Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer in the case of a gas appliance.